Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Post Three

Home Theater Madness Part Two: Speakers

In my previous entry I gave a semi-enternaining introduction to my experience with the home theater hobby, and talked about the most important component: displays.  Now, I would like to switch directions, and have at the most important audio component (other than your room, but I'm getting ahead of myself) which are your speakers. 

Back in the days before home theater existed we basically were limited to two channels: right and left (and, perhaps, a subwoofer, but that was rare).  These were the days when the audio world was ruled by a sinister bunch of goons called audiophiles.  An audiophile is a person who is obsessed, to the point of insanity, with audio perfection.  An example:  it's common for audiophiles to spend thousands of dollars on the cables to their systems.  Crazy, yes, but believe it or not, it's a normal thing in this bizzaro world.

          JPS Aluminata Speaker Cable: An Audiophile Classic at $8,499.00 a Pop 

Thankfully, audiophiles are being replaced with a more pragmatic bunch which I will call audio/video enthusiasts.  I fall in this category.  Basically, we want to get close to audio and video perfection, but we're willing to live in the real world much more than a pure audiophile.  Audiophiles would consider me a heretic of the first order, but at least I an pay my bills and have a life.  Also, until very recently, most audiophiles would never even consider the mere mention of home theater in their vocabulary.  In  their mind, any combination of audio and video in the same system is a recipe for disaster. 

I'm not saying audiophiles don't have a point.  If you have the money, then by all means have two systems: one optimized for audio and the other for video.  That's an impossibility for most mortals, and it's high time that audiophiles get off their moral high horse, and realize that out of necessity the two must coexist.  Which leads me to my discussion of speakers. 

As I said above, we're basically saying goodbye to the world of two-channel audio.  For the most part, you won't be missing much.  Yes, some will argue that music recorded in two-channels must be replayed in two channels, but that just isn't relevant to the vast majority of system integration issues faced by a modern home theater.  Two channel music reproduction, while important in theory, should not be the most important thing one considers when building a home theater.  Instead, you must consider that you will be buying at least five speakers, and perhaps as many as nine!  If you budget for expensive two channel speakers, then you will be sacrificing the other channels at their expense.  That's not a good idea. 

I would argue that in today's home theater your center and surround speakers are just as important as the left and right channels.  Skimp on the center channel, and you will be regretting it.  Nearly all the dialogue comes from that one speaker, and if the center channel cannot do a convincing midrange, then your home theater will suffer badly as a result.  My main point here is that everything should be about balance.  Don't buy your speakers haphazardly; make a plan of it.  If all you can afford are the two channels, make sure the speaker line  has center and surround speakers that will match up with them once funds allow.  Rarely do you want to mix and match speakers from different companies as the timbral balance will be off.  I have and do, but I have been at this a lot longer than most.  It took tremendous trial and many errors to get it right.  Don't go down that path.  Get it right the first time. 

An Example Balanced System:

Ok, here is a speaker system that I recommend to the beginner.  It will allow you to buy two channels, and increase the number as funds allow.  In the end, you will want a minimum of five speakers (left, right, center, left surround, and right surround). 



Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 Reference Monitor ($850/pair)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 Center ($450)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 Reference Monitor (used as surrounds) ($850/pair)

These can be purchased at: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html

For entry level speakers it doesn't get much better than these.  A bargain at this price; you will not have "speaker regret" with these beautiful monitors.  Being internet direct, the company bypasses the middle man, and you save a ton of brick and mortar markup.  Ascend let's you send the speakers back if you don't like them so there is really little risk. 

Do I recommend floor-standing speakers?  Sure.  I own them.  However, you may have a partner who won't like a 50" tall pair of speakers setting in their living room.  If you have the space and funds, though, have at it. 

An Example Balanced Floor Standing System:



EMP Impression E55Ti Towers ($800/pair)
EMP Impression E5Ci Center ($200)
EMP Impression E55Ti Towers (used as surrounds) ($800/pair)

These can be purchased at:

http://store.audioholics.com/product/2905/66334/emp-impression-e55ti-tower-speakers--red-burl-pair-

EMP is another Internet Direct speaker that will slaughter most brick and mortar speaker brands.  I have read nothing but good things about them, and for the money they are impossible to beat at these prices.

So, I hope this gives you a good primer on speakers.  Next, I will tackle the Source. 





 

4 comments:

Ern and Leeard said...

Is it really THAT much better/worth it to have a really good audio system? My requirement for watching stuff is usually just "I can hear it."

Jim Zadrozny said...

Absolutely. Take the LOTR trilogy. Along with one of the best soundtracks of all time these movies are LOADED with powerful sound effects that demand good speakers to enjoy fully. Next time your down come over, and I will demonstrate; though Katie may not want to watch those movies again :).

Ern and Leeard said...

Psh, we at least have to re-watch the first one. We'll buy Katie lunch or something. The music in those movies IS great. I own it all.

The world as I see it said...

Well Jim it seems like you are trying to sell a home theater system. Do you work for Best Buy or something? I bought a Pioneer home theater system about 4 years ago and I am satisfied with it. As far as the HD TV goes I haven't bought one. I use an antenna in the attic and a cheap digital converter box with an old style TV. I think what people need to know about is what types of computers to buy. Just thought I would make a comment. I am not for sure what happened with my account so I have 2 pictures of me following your blog. Good blog though.