Monday, September 20, 2010

Post One

I grew up in the 80's.  For those of you that didn't, that either makes me a dinosaur or an alien from outer space.  For those of us who are members of this wonderful time we can take pride in our contributions to humanity like crack cocaine, hair metal, and Uncle Ronnie (President Ronald Reagan for those of you outside of my caste). 

One of my favorite, guilty pleasures from those days of joy was a movie called The 'burbs (1989; Imagine Entertainment).  We all know Tom Hanks as a first-rate actor and director.  But even he has his moments of slumming.  And that is what The 'burbs is.  It's a wonderful indictment of walled-off suburbia circa the late 1980's, but unlike the recent film Disturbia (2007; Dreamworks) it doesn't make the mistake of taking itself at all seriously.  And, boy, does it have it's fair share of dark humor that is of the "love it/hate it" variety. 


Herr Klopek

In one unforgettable scene, the villians of the movie (a family that could serve as extras in Deliverance or Dracula equally well) have an afternoon tea with their inquisitive neighbors who believe they are either Satan worshipers, serial killers, or just out of place depending on who you ask.  This family's name is "Klopek", and when one of the neighbors's asks the elder of the family "Is that Slavic?", the old man replies "NO!". 

So, as I found it very hard to find a name for this blog, and I AM Slavic (or at least half of me is), I felt it appropriate for my first post to introduce you to a great film from a time I very much miss while also providing me a name for this blog.  We Slavic people just roll that way.  Who knows, maybe Tom will read this blog, and they can do a sequel; though I would think his fee alone would cost more than the whole production of the original. 

But what is the purpose of this blog?  Like anyone else who loves to read I like to write.  Recently, one of my neices and one of my nephews have both started a blog, and so I said to myself, "Why not try.". 

There is no real direction for this blog other than to put my thoughts on paper...er, computer.  It's far better than Prozac, at any rate.  Contributions are not on a set schedule, but I hope to write something once a week or two.  It all depends on my schedule, inspiration, and whether or not I simply remember to do so. 

So go watch The 'burbs this week, and find out why Corey Feldman loves his neighborhood.  I think you will, too.   

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Love it! Looking forward to more of your writing!

Unknown said...

Me, too.